Friday 11 May 2012

When do we grow up?

When I was little, the only thing I wanted was to become an adult. It always looked so appealing and you could be in control of your own life, never having parents telling you what to do or not to do. I vowed that I would eat ice cream and chocolate everyday instead of dinner. Dreaming that I would be absolutely awesome when I would finally be an adult.

At the age of 10 I thought that being 16 was grown up. Reaching 16 and starting the equivalent of high school in Sweden, it hit me that I was still far away from being an adult. Three years later graduating high school at 19, I still wasn't quite sure if I was there yet. Come on, no job and no future plans! I didn't feel ready to be all grown up yet.

Graduation bal,  Lund 2005
My pimping graduation ride! 2005
Me and some of the girls I went to high school with


Moving on to university, most of my fellow students and me were just like university students are supposed to be. Pretending to be adults, while still acting like kids. At the university graduation, I still didn't feel much closer to being what I by now considered an adult, someone who was mature, acted with responsibility and had a stable life. I did have a future job though, which was a step in the right direction.


Graduation Dinner,  2010

In line waiting for my degree

Finally I have it in my hands!


Now, two years after graduation university, one would think that I would finally feel like I have grown up and become and adult. 

Wrong!

I feel further from being an adult as ever. In about 17 days I will no longer have a job due to me going travelling for an extended period of time. I am doing the total opposite to what I thought an adult should be like. 

Many of my friends are getting married, having kids and are living responsible adult lives. Is it really that bad not wanting to really grow up and instead try to live a free life as long as possible without being attached to your responsibilities?
When do we really become adults? Is it a feeling inside or is it when the law says at 18 you are now officially adults?





No comments:

Post a Comment