Friday 15 March 2013

9 month travel anniversary

Today marks my 9th month of travelling. I have enjoyed almost every second of it. Occasionally when I am on a 8 hour bus ride I might come to doubt the reason for why I am doing this again, but every destination makes the horrendous bus journey worth it.

I have spent the past few days at Gili Trawagan. It's a tiny island of the coast of Lombok, which is an island east of Bali. Gili T is so small that it only takes 1 hour and 30 mins to walk around it. Even though its so small, it is very diverse. There is the main village where most guesthouses, restaurants and bars are and as soon as you walk for about 10-15 mins you get out of the masses of people and find a few establishments scattered around. The beach has white sand and crystal clear water. There is a place called turtle point where if you are snorkelling there is a 99% chance of seeing at least one turtle swimming about peacefully going about its own business. Today we saw 3 turtles in one go! It's just amazing being able to be sitting under a beach tree in the shade enjoying a book or a conversation with the local people working there and then in the next minute walk out into the sea with rented snorkelling gear and see the fishes and turtles.
Another lovely aspect to this island is that there are no motorised vehicles. The only mode of transportation is either by bicycle or by horse and carriage. There is a nightly food market which has loads of fresh seafood which has been caught by local fishermen.
These are a few reasons to why I consider this island the best island that I have ever been too. For me this place is close to paradise!









No comments:

Post a Comment