Wednesday 14 November 2012

Malaria

My plan is to start heading to Laos next week. When I was in London a few months ago and had a chat with my GP she told me that it would be good for me to take the malaria tablets. However I did some research on these tablets and found that the side effects on some of these are quite horrendous!

Listed side effects for the different types of malaria prevention tablets are : sun sensitivity, nightmares, anxiety, depression, mouth ulcers, headaches, nausea and the list goes on.

I decided that since I was first going to countries with not to much malaria I could skip taking them for a while. However now I am not to sure if I should take them for Laos and Cambodia. I have deet repellents, mosquito coils and a mosquito net. Also I will be wearing long sleeves and trousers at sunset, which the time when the mozzies come out to play. But you never know though.

My question is, have any of you out there been to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and taken or not taken the malaria tablets. Also have any of you ever had malaria?

No comments:

Post a Comment