Saturday 30 June 2012

Back in Bali

After spending 11 days in Gili I decided it was time to move on. I have made it to Ubud which is in central Bali. It is supposed to be the relaxed and artistic center of Bali. However, I have found to my disapointment that they sell the same cheap tourist things here and have way to many western style restaurants. What makes it worse is that the people here are much more agressive when they want you to buy things of them.

Gili is such a relaxed place where the lifestyle of the locals is to just take it easy. If not today, then there is always another day. They would ask me once if I wanted to come in to their shops and when I said no they would stop hassling me. Today in Ubud I had a woman clinging to my arm trying to get me to buy from here. It is such a shame that the people have come to this. Also all the so called authentic batik sarongs are just mass-produced printed cloths and everything that they claim to be handmade is all mass produced.

I am not going to be staying here for long, just a few days. My first impression of this village wasn't to good, hopefully it will change for the better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment