Friday 14 September 2012

Scooters!

Through out my entire trip I have always seen people renting scooters and ride off with them on some unknown adventures. Having no drivers license and have never driven a scooter myself, I decided its probably not a very wise of me to even attempt to rent one. However since I came to koh phangan I saw there was not to much traffic, so I decided to rent one and explore the island. I have had so much fun the past few days! I have managed to master the skill of driving a scooter and I feel so proud of myself. Keep in mind the fastest I have gone is about 45 km/h and that's on a flat road with no other people, scooters or cars around me. I usually go so slow that I have 12 yea told kids on scooters wizzing past me in some extreme speeds. I don't mind as driving slow gives me the opportunity to see more of what is around me and really enjoy the ride.

Even though it is the law in Thailand to wear a helmet, you rarely see them on peoples heads and more often hanging on the side of the bike. There will be tourists driving ridiculously fast and bikes with whole families of 4 and none wearing helmets. The only time you will see people wearing them is when there is a police checkpoint, as there is a 500baht fine. Even though it would feel so much nicer without a helmet I refuse to even just drive across the street without one!

No comments:

Post a Comment