Friday 20 July 2012

Melaka

After a few amazing days in Tioman with the rest of our group of 6, I have made it to Melaka.
As it was pouring down rain yesterday, we all decided to go to the duty free shop instead of going snorkeling which we had originally planned. As the entire island in duty free. the duty free shops are extremely cheap. Having loaded up on spirits and beer we decided to have a party instead. In the morning after missing the early boat, we got to the jetty just in time for the second boat to depart. Well on the boat the 6 of us ended up sitting in the back outdoor area as here in Asia they just loooove to have the aircon on freezing! There I ended up talking to a friendly Malay/Indian who asked me where I was headed. When he found out I was going to Melaka he told me he could give me a ride as he lives there. After Accepting his proposal for the ride in to town, I got a little worried about my safety if I really should get into a car with this complete stranger! When I met up with him at the dock he came with his wife and a hotel manager from one of the resorts on the island. This calmed my nerves and I was more then happy to get a ride in the car instead of taking a bus. 

Everyone was very friendly and my new malay friends invited me for lunch, I got to meet his brittish expat friends who live in Melaka and he even brought me to a great hostel where he knows the owner. I have come to realise that sometimes trusting strangers can lead to something good. And dont worry, I am definitly not trusting every stranger I meet. I am going on my instincts and am really considerate with who I get in a car with :)

So far of what I have seen of Melaka I can say it is a beautiful colonial town. I am living right in the center inbetween Little India and China Town. All the houses are made in the old colonial style and so far everything has been pretty awsome!

No comments:

Post a Comment